In this episode, I talk with author, speaker, activist and mother Cynthia Changyit Levin about her book, From Changing Diapers to Changing the World: Why Moms Make Great Advocates and How to Get Started. If you’re looking for practical inspiration on how to make effective change in your local community, then this is the episode for you!
Advocacy is a great way to get involved in driving change in our communities, yet very few of us ever actually learn how to become one. With over a decade of experience, Cynthia offers a step-by-step guide on how to be an effective advocate at the grassroots level - in the US and beyond. While her book centers around mom advocates, anyone can learn from and be inspired by it!
Some topics of discussion include:
- Why moms make great advocates
- How advocacy can provide you with a greater sense of self and purpose (and why it’s not about being a martyr!)
- How you as one person can make a difference
- The importance of non-partisan advocacy
- Practical steps to get started today!
Powered by The Trouble Club: use the code STORY25 to get 25% off all Trouble ticket sales and membership payments
Transcription is available here
Mentioned in the episode:
- Bread for the Word
- One Campaign
- Moms Rising
- Mom’s Demand Action
- US Citizens Climate Lobby
- Friends Committee
- ONE Campaign
- Little Lobbyists
- The Murder Bot Diaries - Martha Wells
- How to Be an Antiracist - Ibram X. Kendi
Subscribe to the newsletter
Follow us on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts - and be sure to rate and review to help other people find us!