In this episode, I speak with Jacqueline Novogratz, Founder and CEO of Acumen, a global organization that invests in for-profit companies that are tackling poverty and building a world where everyone has the opportunity to live with dignity.
For too long, businesses and corporations have put profits above everything else, to the detriment of people and the planet. Jacqueline Novogratz has pioneered an entirely new business model that uses traditional market-based approaches to invest in companies that are bringing affordable, life-changing products and services to the world’s poorest populations.
In our conversation, Jacqueline speaks about what it takes to be a leader who creates meaningful and lasting social impact, who can withstand the inevitable challenges that get in the way, and who always strives to do what’s right, not what’s easy.
Some topics we cover include:
- How Acumen is pioneering a new business approach that people people and planet above profits
- Stories of the entrepreneurs Acumen supports, and the lives of the people they impact
- The importance of building a world based on dignity
- How change happens – starting small with big dreams
- Jacqueline’s tips for being a socially responsible entrepreneur and investor
- Why women are integral to solving the problems of poverty
- Moral imagination, moral leadership, and the moral revolution
- Manifesto for Moral Revolution: Practices to Build a Better World
- The Blue Sweater: Bridging the Gap Between Rich and Poor in an Interconnected World
Transcription is available here
Changemakers: How women make change happen
This is the first episode of the new Changemakers series which explores how women make change happen from those at the top helping to drive it. Each episode, we look at where we are on this long march to equality, what lies ahead, and how important you are in the fight.
In this 14-episode series, we’ll hear from Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Tawakkol Karman, Girls Who Code founder Reshma Saujani, Olympic gold medalist Lindsey Vonn, and Afghanistan's youngest ever female mayor Zarifa Ghafari, among others. Guest host Asha Dahya speaks with co-founder of the Black Lives Matter Movement Alicia Garza.
Subscribe to our newsletter for a weekly dose of all things WOMAN
We need more women’s stories in the world! If you’ve enjoyed this episode, please share, subscribe, rate and review on Apple, Spotify or wherever you listen to your podcasts