In this episode, I speak with one of the top ski racers of all time, Lindsey Vonn. Olympic gold medalist with 82 World Cup championships, Lindsey has the third highest super ranking of all skiers, men or women.
In our conversation, we talk about Lindsey’s journey going from a 9 year old dreaming of being an Olympian to the most decorated American skier of all time - her role models, double standards she faced, progress in the industry, and what it’s been like to be a fixture in the American sports landscape for almost twenty years.
Some topics we cover include:
- What it’s like to fly down a mountain at 80mph
- Double standards female athletes face around confidence, competitiveness and aggression
- The importance of confidence outside of athletics
- Lindsey’s attempt to compete in men’s races, even getting tips from Billie Jean King
- The gendered imbalance in leadership and coaching positions in skiing, and all sports
- Progress that’s been made and Lindsey’s hope for the future
- How Lindsey has changed the game for women and skiing
Transcription is available here
Lindsey’s book: Rise
This episode was sponsored by BetterHelp. Visit betterhelp.com/storyofwoman for 10% off your first month of online therapy.
Changemakers: How women make change happen
This is the first episode of the new Changemakers series which explores how women make change happen from those at the top helping to drive it. Each episode, we look at where we are on this long march to equality, what lies ahead, and how important you are in the fight.
In this 14-episode series, we’ll hear from Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Tawakkol Karman, Girls Who Code founder Reshma Saujani, Olympic gold medalist Lindsey Vonn, and Afghanistan's youngest ever female mayor Zarifa Ghafari, among others. Guest host Asha Dahya speaks with co-founder of the Black Lives Matter Movement Alicia Garza.
Subscribe to our newsletter for a weekly dose of all things WOMAN
We need more women’s stories in the world! If you’ve enjoyed this episode, please share, subscribe, rate and review on Apple, Spotify or wherever you listen to your podcasts