In what ways has breastfeeding been shaped by culture and history?
Joanna delves into the historical evolution of breastfeeding norms and practices, examining how societal changes impacted women's experiences. Through the lens of her own journey, Joanna also touches on the complexities of breastfeeding in public, the stigma associated with it, and the societal discomfort surrounding the maternal body.
Beyond the historical and contemporary challenges of breastfeeding, Joanna advocates for systemic support, increased societal awareness, and the importance of sharing diverse stories to create a more inclusive and understanding environment for mothers.
Some topics we cover include:
- The remarkable, yet under-appreciated mechanics of breast milk production
- Breastfeeding changes over centuries, from ancient statues to industrialization's impact
- Modern challenges such as lack of paid leave, societal perceptions, and insufficient structural support
- How breastfeeding challenges intersect with class, race, and historical legacies
- How we can reframe the narrative with open discussions and sharing diverse stories
Transcription is available here
Subscribe to our newsletter for a weekly dose of all things WOMAN
We need more women’s stories in the world!. If you’ve enjoyed this episode, please share, subscribe, rate and review on Apple, Spotify or wherever you listen to your podcasts
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices