A father, husband, and successful pastor and CEO, Paula Stone Williams made the decision to transition at the age of 60 and quickly discovered her life as a woman was not going to be as easy as her life as a white man. Transgender people are in a very unique position having lived as both genders, and in her book Paula discusses her journey to transition as well as the integration of spirituality and sexuality. Paula illuminates the aspects of our gender socialization and culture that often go unexamined, demonstrating how drastically her life changed when nothing else did but her gender.
Some topics of discussion include:
1. What life was like for Paula as a child and her long, successful career in an evangelical community that she was kicked out of as soon as they learned she was transgender
2. Her life now compared to when she was living as a man, including what she finds most frustrating and most common
3. Losing her status, her voice and even her confidence after coming up against what women have struggled with for millennia - being listened to, taken seriously or simply not interrupted
The quotes you will hear read during the interview are taken directly from the book, As a Woman.
Transcription is available here: https://www.thestoryofwomanpodcast.com/blog/e8-woman-and-lessons-from-a-new-one-paula-stone-williams-as-a-woman
Buy the book: https://bookshop.org/a/80198/9781982153342
Mentioned in the episode:
The Middle Passage - James Hollis: https://uk.bookshop.org/a/9266/9780919123601
Swamplands of the Soul - James Hollis: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Swamplands-Soul-Studies-Psychology-Analysts/dp/0919123740
She's My Dad - Jonathan S. Williams: https://bookshop.org/a/80198/9780664264352
Where to find Paula Stone Williams: https://paulastonewilliams.com/
- Become a Patron for access to bonus content and to support the podcast, or buy me a (metaphorical) coffee
- Follow along: Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Tik Tok | Youtube | LinkedIn
- Subscribe to the newsletter
- Follow us on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts - and be sure to rate and review to help other people find us!
- Explore The Story of Woman book recommendations in the US and the UK - purchases support the podcast AND local bookstores 🤩
^links can be found on The Story of Woman Youtube channel or The Story of Woman website